WordsGalore is a cute little gratis application for learning Spanish, Chinese or Korean when knowing English. It is however from 2006 and seems no longer maintained, and also I found no way how to make it test me by showing the English words and requesting the Spanish … . But, it has a vocabulary based on word frequency and I found it to be just great for learning the pronunciation of the words because you can just scroll down with cursor keys and it will immediately say the selected word.
Its website contains concise instructions for installing it [source], and here is the detailed list that worked for me:
- Download the application (in my case, for Spanish with the 1000 most frequent words):
- Download the patch for getting the newest features:
- Install wine with your Ubuntu package manager.
- Install MSVBVM60.DLL for wine (Visual Basic 6 runtime library): [source]
wget kegel.com/wine/winetricks winetricks vb6run
- Install the WordsGalore program:
- Install the update for the WordsGalore program:
- Start the WordsGalore program:
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/wordsgalore wine wordsgalore.exe
Leave a Reply