I have some ideas in mind how to structure content in a way that is more adequate for skimming. Long texts are simply not really navigable in the finer portions (only in chapters and subchapters), and that makes them unadequate for serving in a workplace for content (snippets of scientific work etc.) and as a storage for content that is indexed in the mind.
Some ideas for structuring:
- all traditional means: title, headers, sub-headers, paragraph headers
- Line headers, for summarizing the content of a short paragraph
- making much greater use of symbols (using street sign symbols as a well-known reference set)
- foldable paragraphs, like in mindmaps: there is a title, but the content appears only after clicking on the title
- paragraphs that appear when hovering over them with the mouse
- diagram languages
- using structured language, e.g. for todo lists, inspired by programming languages incl. their choice of indentation
- formula typesetting
In all that, it is important that this kind of content is producable in real-time, just like long texts.